5 long weekend getaways around Delhismriti
1. Landour: It’s a small cantonment town attached with Mussoorie. This place is absolutely quiet and beautiful; there are very few cottages that are available for tourists to stay. Should you wish to do some touristy thing you can drive down to Mussoorie and should you wish to enjoy natural beauty then you can just relax in Landour.
- Altitude: 7784 ft (2550m) above sea level
- Nearest city : Mussoorie / Dehradun
- More details: It is about 35 km from the city of Dehradun in Uttarakhand. This place is so serene that it inspired authors such as Ruskin Bond to take up a house here.
2. Pangot: This village is a bird watching paradise. Away from the hustle bustle of crowded Nanital, it’s in the Kosiyakutoli tehsil in Uttarakhand. The drive is very soothing and the roads pass through the forested area of Cheena Peak Range via Snow View Point and Kilbury.
- Altitude: 6,000 ft above sea level
- Nearest city: Nanital
- More details: This village is home to around 580 bird species and several other Himalayan species fauna including leopards, yellow-throated Himalayan martens, Himalayan palm civets, ghorals, barking deer etc.
3. Barog: It’s a very small hill station in Solan district of Himachal Pradesh. Located on the Kalka – Shimla Highway has beautiful flora and fauna to relax your mind from the scotching heat of Delhi – NCR. It’s famous for its pine and oak forests.
- Altitude: 1560 mts above sea level
- Nearest city: Shimla / Chandigarh
- More details: Earlier it was merely used as a stopover between Shimla and Chandigarh but now its a full grown destination in itself.
4. Mukteshwar: It’s a beautiful small village up in the high Kumaon hills of Uttarakhand. The tourist intervention is very scanty because there’s only one accommodation available which is PWD’s circuit house else you can also stay at an inside forest resort. Both these places offer an amazing view of the Himalayas.
- Altitude: 2286 meters (7500 feet)
- Nearest city: Nanital
- More details: It’s a small place that can be covered on foot easily. There are apple orchids and other farms where you can relish the fresh produce.
5. Gurgaon & beyond: If you are not at all in a mood to drive long distance then you can choose to stay in a luxury resort that are offering a bouquet of activities for the families and couples.
- Places nearby: Westin Sohna, Hyatt Regency Gurgaon, Tree House Resort, Heritage Resort, The Getaway Resort etc.
- Nearest city : Gurgaon
- Driving time: within 30 – 35 minutes from Gurgaon toll.